SP3379 : Baptistery window detail, Coventry Cathedral

taken 2 years ago, near to Coventry, Great Britain

Baptistery window detail, Coventry Cathedral
Baptistery window detail, Coventry Cathedral
The largest stained glass window at the time (1961), at 85 feet high and 56 feet wide, it consists of 195 individual stained glass panels, and was designed by John Piper and painted by Patrick Reyntiens.
Although abstract, some say it represents the spiritual renewal of Baptism and a reminder of the explosive destruction of the old Cathedral. Each viewer will find their own meaning.
Cathedral of St Michael, Coventry
Grade I listed

The Cathedral was built between 1956 and 1962 and was designed by Sir Basil Spence, following the destruction of the old mediaeval Cathedral in 1940 through enemy bombing.
It was decided to build the new Cathedral adjacent to the old one, which was left in its semi-ruined state with its undamaged 14th century tower. It would in fact be the third Cathedral in Coventry, as this had been a religious site for nearly 1000 years.

There was a competition for the design which was won by the Scottish architect Basil Spence. The unorthodox design was intended to be "a casket of jewels" and contains many works from famous artists.
The Cathedral was consecrated on 25 May 1962.
The Cathedral was built at right angles to the old one, and therefore aligns north-south.
It is built in red Hollington sandstone with green slate cladding and a concrete roof. There is a nave of seven bays, although the aisles are full height, with slender piers tapering at the base. They rise to a concrete ribbed canopy with timber between the ribs. There is no clerestory. The nave walls are angled in a sawtooth fashion with tall stained-glass windows. The nave and chancel are as one.
The (liturgical) west end has a fully glazed wall with engraved figures of saints and angels by John Hutton. The (liturgical) east wall has no window, but is dominated by a large tapestry of Christ in Glory by Graham Sutherland.
There are two chapels, one to the north east (The Chapel of Christ the Servant) and one to the south west (The Chapel of Unity).
The baptistery area to the south east has a full height slightly curved window with closely spaced mullions containing nearly 200 small windows. It was designed by John Piper and painted by Patrick Reyntiens. The font is made with a boulder from near Bethlehem.
On the exterior wall is a sculpture by Epstein of Saint Michael and Lucifer.
The low roof is crowned by a metal fleche topped by a cross.

The organ is by Harrison and Harrison, divided in galleries either side of the altar.

There is an open western (southern) porch linking the two cathedrals. There are also lower levels to the Cathedral with further display and administration rooms. There is also an attached cafe.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP3379, 1015 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 14 September, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 22 September, 2016
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Artist (from Tags)
John Piper 
Place (from Tags)
Coventry Cathedral 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 3362 7906 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:24.5111N 1:30.4320W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window  Patrick Reyntiens 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 43 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register