SD3439 : Poulton-le-Fylde War Memorial in the Market Place

taken 3 years ago, near to Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire, Great Britain

Poulton-le-Fylde War Memorial in the Market Place
Poulton-le-Fylde War Memorial in the Market Place
Poulton-le-Fylde War Memorial was originally erected in Queens Square in 1921. When the one-way traffic system was proposed the memorial was moved on 1st August 1979 to its present location in Market Place.

It is dedicated to the memory of the men of Poulton-le-Fylde who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-19 SD3439 : Poulton-le-Fylde War Memorial: Dedication plaque. Plaques on the sides list the men who died - SD3439 : Poulton-le-Fylde War Memorial: Names (A-G) - SD3439 : Poulton-le-Fylde War Memorial: Names (I-W).

Behind is a stone with a plaque containing the names of men who died in the Second World War SD3439 : Poulton-le-Fylde War Memorial: Names from WW2 on the reverse of which is a plaque in memory of Fusilier Samuel Flint-Broughton SD3439 : Samuel Flint-Broughton remembered who died in Afghanistan in 2013.

In the background is St Chad's Church.
St Chad's, Poulton-le-Fylde
There has probably been a church on the site of the present St Chad's since before the Norman conquest of England in 1066, and there is written evidence of one from 1094. The dedication to 7th century Anglo-Saxon saint Chad of Mercia lends weight to its pre-conquest foundation. At the time of the English Reformation in the 16th century, St Chad's became the Anglican parish church.
The present tower was built in the 17th century and the church was extensively renovated in 1751. The apse was added in 1868. Further renovations in 1955 included the addition of a central aisle and the removal of some of the church furnishings. A small extension was added north of the tower in 2005.

St Chad's was designated a Grade II* listed building on 23 September 1950 LinkExternal link St Chad's is part of the diocese of Blackburn in the Province of York. Church website: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD3439, 160 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 27 August, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 23 October, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  City, Town centre  People, Events 
Date (from Tags)
1921  1979  2013 
Person (from Tags)
Samuel Flint-Broughton 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 3480 3939 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:50.7983N 2:59.5498W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 3480 3938
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
War Memorial  Market Place  Parish Church 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 93 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register