TF0039 : Monument to Sir Michael Newton, St Michael and All Angels, Heydour

taken 3 years ago, near to Heydour, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Monument to Sir Michael Newton, St Michael and All Angels, Heydour
Monument to Sir Michael Newton, St Michael and All Angels, Heydour
Monument to Sir Michael Newton, d. 1743 by Peter Scheemakers.
Sir Michael was the son of John Newton (d.1734) by his second wife, after Abigail had died. TF0039 : Monument to Abigail Newton, St Michael and All Angels, Heydour
Sir Michael married Margaret Countess of Coningsby in 1730, and they had one son John and a daughter. Legend has it that infant John was killed by a jealous pet Ape.
St Michael and All Angels, Heydour

Grade I listed.

The church dates from the 12th century onwards, and was recorded in the Domesday Book.
There is a western tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles and clerestory, chancel with north chapel, and south porch.
The church is built in Ancaster stone with lead and slate roofs.

The tower dates from the 13th C. and has a plain parapet with gargoyles and pinnacles. The octagonal spire has one set of lucarnes. There are eight bells.
The south porch has a stone ribbed roof and side benches, and the south door is 14th century.
The nave and north and south arcades of four bays with octagonal piers are from the 14th century. The south aisle has its own piscina.
The clerestory was added in the 15th century with six windows.
The tower arch is also 14th century, and inside the tower is a portion of 12th century zigzag moulding reset over the doorway.
The chancel arch is also 14th century, although the chancel was probably 13th century and rebuilt in the mid 19th century. It has the usual sedilia and a squint into the north chapel. The east window is a triple lancet with glass by Kempe.
The north chapel is filled with monuments to the Newton family, and there are several good monuments from the 17th and 18th centuries.

The 14th century octagonal font has incomplete patterns of tracery, perhaps due to the Mason becoming a victim of the Black Death.

The church has two stained-glass windows from the 14th century given by the Scrope family. The windows were removed for cleaning and restoration in 2007. There are other fragments of mediaeval glass elsewhere in the church.

There is a two manual organ by Forster and Andrews on the north side of the chancel.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0039, 123 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 26 October, 2016   (more nearby)
Friday, 28 October, 2016
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Place (from Tags)
Church (from Tags)
St Michael and All Angels 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0097 3961 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:56.6634N 0:29.9303W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register