TF0306 : Stained glass window s.V, St Martin's church, Stamford

taken 3 years ago, near to Stamford, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Stained glass window s.V, St Martin's church, Stamford
Stained glass window s.V, St Martin's church, Stamford
Upper half depicts three Old Testament scenes, Moses striking the rock, Samson carrying gates of Gaza, and David slaying Goliath. Below transom, three New Testament scenes, the Crucifixion, the three Maries at the Tomb, and the Resurrection. The scenes include appropriate inscriptions in black-letter on scrolls. Also 15th-century shields of Goldsborough, possibly of Marmyon, and Grey of Rotherfield. At the bottom, family of Russell, the See of Lincoln (gules three lions passant or, on a chief azure, the Virgin and Child enthroned) and Bishop Russell.
The glass, which was originally in Tattershall church was reset by Hugh Arnold in 1915.
St Martin's church, Stamford
Grade I listed

The church today dates from the late 15th century, although it replaced an earlier building.
It is thought that the original church was ruined after the sack of the town in 1461. However, other churches were little damaged, so a more likely reason is that it was neglected by the nuns who owned it at the time.
The present church was built in the 1480s.

There is a western tower, clerestoried nave with north and south aisles which clasp the tower, chancel with north and south chapels, and south porch. The church is built in limestone ashlar with lead roofs.

Externally, the nave and chancel have embattled parapets, the windows are late Perpendicular.
The tower is of four stages and has an embattled parapet with pinnacles. A spire was intended but never built. The tower is very similar to that of Saint John's church nearby.

The south porch has two storeys, the upper one is now a Chapel, accessible by a narrow spiral stairway.

It is probable that the plan of the nave follows that of the earlier building, as the aisles are fairly narrow.
They have arcades of four bays with slim piers and angel corbels holding shields with the Arms of 15th century Bishops of Lincoln. The north aisle at its eastern end terminates at a 19th century arch which was built when the Burghley Chapel was extended.
There was a western Gallery in the nave until the late 19th century.
The font is octagonal with a window tracery design, from the early 14th century, and is probably from the earlier church.

The chancel was altered with the installation of the tomb of William Cecil in 1598. The north chapel was extended to accommodate his monument.
The chancel arch has remains of entrances to a Rood screen which was probably removed in the late 16th century.
In 1865 the Burghley Chapel was extended on its north side and a further arch was inserted at the eastern end of the north aisle which blocked the entrance to the Rood loft stairway.
The south Chapel is occupied by the organ, but originally housed the Guild of St Martin.

The church has three large monuments, the largest is that to William Cecil, Lord Burghley (1520-1598), once described as "one of the finest examples of its kind in existence", probably by Cornelius Cure. William's parent's monument is located nearby. There is also a large monument to John Cecil, fifth Earl of Exeter and his wife, of white marble with semi-reclining and standing figures either side.
There are numerous other wall tablets throughout the church.

The church was refurbished in 1844 by Edward Browning, and has low box pews in the nave. There are further box pews and choir stalls in the chancel which also has geometric patterned tiles.

There are five windows containing reset mediaeval glass including much from Tattershall church. The windows were assembled by Peckitt of York in 1759/60, with several incorporating rather garish patterned glass. The east window is of five lights with reset glass from the second half of the 15th century and Shields from the 16th century.

The organ is a two manual by Bevington from circa 1889.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0306, 398 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 1 November, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 2 November, 2016
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Church (from Tags)
St Martins 
Place (from Tags)
Stamford 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0311 0678 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:38.9378N 0:28.6405W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Medieval Stained Glass (Reset) 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 39 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register