SD5429 : Preston Obelisk

taken 3 years ago, near to Preston, Lancashire, Great Britain

Preston Obelisk
Preston Obelisk
The obelisk in Preston Market Place dates from 1782.it was removed in 1853 and
rested for a period of 126 years at Hollowforth Hall, Woodplumpton. In 1979 the owner, Edward Nicholson, consented to return it to Preston's Market Square where it was unveiled by Her Majesty The Queen on 10th May 1979 to mark the 800th anniversary of the granting of a charter to the borough by Henry II.

It is Grade II listed LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD5429, 258 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 28 August, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 2 November, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Public buildings and spaces  City, Town centre 
Date (from Tags)
1782  1853  1979 
Person (from Tags)
Edward Nicholson 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5401 2939 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:45.5295N 2:41.9427W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5401 2940
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Obelisk  Market Place  Grade II Listed  Henry II  800th Anniversary  Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 69 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register