SK8329 : Belvoir Angel headstone, Croxton Kerrial churchyard

taken 3 years ago, near to Croxton Kerrial, Leicestershire, Great Britain

Belvoir Angel headstone, Croxton Kerrial churchyard
Belvoir Angel headstone, Croxton Kerrial churchyard
To William and Margrett Hallam,d.1719. Double sided stone, with the names repeated on the reverse Link . This side is very awkward to photograph as the stone is titled at a very shallow angle.
Belvoir Angels
This name is given to a group of gravestones loosely based on the Vale of Belvoir.
They are carved from the (relatively) locally sourced Swithland slate (from Swithland in Charnwood Forest to the west of Loughborough), and at the head of the gravestone have a carved depiction of an angel's head flanked by wings. This is supposed to represent the soul of the deceased ascending to heaven. Some larger stones have a pair of angels side by side.
The angel is in most instances flanked by a stylised depiction of an hourglass and crossed bones, and the panel usually includes a short phrase; examples include 'Come ye blessed', 'Death is gain'.
Below the angel is the commemorative inscription, often to more than one person, and this is followed by a short verse. A small number of stones also include a short biblical text.
In a few instances the angel panel is situated between the commemorative text and the verse, or even below all the text, and in at least one instance the verse is inscribed on the rear face. A number of stones are carved with a full memorial on both sides of the stone, and there are a few instances of the edge being used also.
They date from the period 1690 to 1759, and those located in the Vale itself, and centred on Hickling, appear to be the work of just one or two masons, although no information as to their identity appears to exist.

For a more comprehensive discussion, see LinkExternal link
Ss Botolph & John the Baptist church
15th C. church restored in 1866-68 by Scott. Has a central tower (although more eastern than central) on diagonal stepped buttresses with 8 pinnacles.
North and south aisles with 3 bay arcades and clerestories.
The pews date from 1534 when they were donated by Croxton Abbey at the time of dissolution. There are 42 unique pew ends.
The organ is by Nicholson of Worcester 1849.
There is no stained glass.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK8329, 157 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 31 October, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 6 November, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Name (from Tags)
Belvoir Angels 
Material (from Tags)
Slate 
Period (from Tags)
Early 18th Century 
Date (from Tags)
1719 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8350 2947 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:51.3755N 0:45.6810W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8350 2947
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Gravestone 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register