SJ8391 : Christ Church Lady Chapel

taken 3 years ago, near to Withington, Manchester, Great Britain

Christ Church Lady Chapel
Christ Church Lady Chapel
Formal approval was granted on 15 August 1944 to the Rector Walter Henry Bishop and Church Wardens to convert the North Transept into a Lady Chapel. Eight pews were removed and it was furnished with a Holy Table, Credence Table, kneelers, ornaments, books, chairs and carpets.

They also installed a stained glass window SJ8391 : Stained glass in Christ Church on the north side of the church with the inscription "To the glory of God and in loving memory of Dorothy Silverwood Holt and Esther Holt 1943".

The Holts were wealthy members of Christ Church and friends of Grace Milne (of Kendal Milne) who all had great influence on the church and parish affairs. They were great benefactors in those days when the Church depended on such people for the upkeep of the church, long before planned giving schemes came into being.
Christ Church, West Didsbury
Christ Church, West Didsbury was a gift to the community from William Roberts who owned the Crown Brewery in Hulme from 1851. Mr. Roberts offered to build a church and rectory at his own expense and insisted on the present site, the corner of Darley Avenue and Princess Road (rumour has it that he wanted to see the church from his home!). In 1881 he was still living on the Chorlton/Didsbury border and would have watched the building of the Church and Rectory.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s due to the development of the Parkway into a major road significant changes were made to the church. The main West doors were bricked-up and a new entrance made on Darley Avenue. The old organ was removed and a replacement one provided. The church was double-glazed and a new central heating system was installed. The floor level was raised with the provision of a new floor. The pews were removed and replaced by chairs and a nave altar put in place. Christ Church was closed for nearly a year and reopened in the summer of 1981. In more recent times the clock has been restored and the roof completed replaced.

In December 2006 it joined forces with St Christopher's Church in Withington to become a single parish. Church website: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ8391, 79 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 9 September, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 17 December, 2016
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Date (from Tags)
1944  1943 
Person (from Tags)
Walter Henry Bishop  Dorothy Silverwood Holt  Grace Milne  Esther Holt 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8305 9189 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:25.4118N 2:15.3918W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8304 9188
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior  Lady Chapel  Stained Glass Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 33 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register