SK0580 : Chapel-en-le-Frith Town Hall

taken 3 years ago, near to Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, Great Britain

Chapel-en-le-Frith Town Hall
Chapel-en-le-Frith Town Hall
The Town Hall was completed in 1851, at the expense of Dr John Slacke of Bowden Hall and was known as the "New Sessions House" as it provided a new home for the Magistrates' Court, which had met previously in the Royal Oak.

The building also housed the County Court, the Trustee Savings Bank and the High Peak Lodge of the Free Masons, and was used for social functions, dances and theatrical productions.

In 1928 the building was transferred to the Parish Council and in 1934, the ground floor Council Chamber was extended and a permanent stage was installed on the first floor.

During the Second World War, the cellar was used as a base for the St John's Ambulance A.R.P. team.

In 1947, the Chapel-en-le-Frith H.M. Forces Welcome Home Fund came up with a proposal to convert the Town Hall into a War Memorial Hall. Three schemes were put to the public, including a complete re-build in Modernist style. Alterations did not take place until 1970 and these involved the modest addition of a first floor annexe, including an additional function and meeting room.

Current users include Chapel-en-le-Frith Ladies' Choir, Chapel-en-le-Frith Gardening Club, Chapel-en-le-Frith Civic Society, Michael & Jackie's Dancing Class, Judo, Women's Institute, Weight Watchers, and others.

More information can be found on the Parish Council website: LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )

SK0580 : Town Hall Clock.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK0580, 200 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 16 September, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 5 February, 2017
Geographical Context
Public buildings and spaces 
Date (from Tags)
1851  1928  1934  1947  1970 
Person (from Tags)
John Slacke 
Former (from Tags)
Magistrates Court  Bank  St John Ambulance Station 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 0588 8076 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:19.4238N 1:54.7912W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 0587 8078
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 82 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register