TF6120 : Greene monument detail, St Nicholas' Chapel, King's Lynn

taken 4 years ago, near to King's Lynn, Norfolk, Great Britain

Greene monument detail, St Nicholas' Chapel, King's Lynn
Greene monument detail, St Nicholas' Chapel, King's Lynn
Detail of the Greene children,
St Nicholas' Chapel, King's Lynn

Grade I listed

Saint Nicholas' Chapel is a Chapel of Ease to St Margaret's church (King's Lynn Minster) and was founded in 1146.
The Chapel consists of a south west tower with spire, nave and clerestory continuous with chancel, south porch, and vestries.
The tower is from the 13th century, and was subject to settling due to the soft ground. The church was enlarged in the late 14th century to create the largest Chapel of Ease in England. It is some 58 m long and 22 m wide.
The nave has an 11 Bay arcade with north and south aisles and clerestory. The nave roof has carved Angels playing musical instruments placed on small hammer beams above the clerestory windows.
There is a two-storey south porch, the lower level has a lierne vault with carved bosses.
The chancel has the mutilated remains of a sedilia on the south wall, which once would have been very fine. It is unknown why it was mutilated.
In the north-west corner of the nave survives the Consistory Court which dates from the early 17th century, where people were tried for various moral matters.

By the early 19th century the church was full of galleries and pews which belonged to properties in the town, some were even let out for cash, only under half were free. These were swept away in the mid 19th century, unfortunately this also included mediaeval woodwork, although some still remains in the stalls.

In 1741 the existing spire of the church, dating from around 1500, blew down in a gale. The spire was replaced, but this was unsatisfactory, and the present lead-covered spire, designed by George Gilbert Scott was completed in 1869.

In the 20th century due to declining numbers, the church was declared redundant and now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust since 1992.

There are several fine monuments at the east end of the chancel.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF6120, 1064 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 16 February, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 23 February, 2017
Geographical Context
Boundary, Barrier 
Primary Subject of Photo
Monument 
Place (from Tags)
Kings Lynn 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 6184 2045 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:45.4452N 0:23.8084E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Monument Detail  St Nicholas Chapel 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 14 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register