SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave

taken 3 years ago, near to Seagrave, Leicestershire, Great Britain

Church of All Saints, Seagrave
Church of All Saints, Seagrave
The nave looking into the south aisle. 14th century arcade with octagonal piers.
Church of All Saints, Seagrave
The present church dates back to the 13th century, although there was clearly an earlier, probably Saxon, church on the site of which some fabric has been incorporated.

The church consists of nave with aisles, chancel, west tower and south porch.

The north aisle arcade is 13th century, the south aisle and its arcade being 14th century, as is the lower part of the tower. Both aisles have reticulated tracery of the Decorated period in their windows. Much of the work from this period is faced in the distinctive pink granite of the Charnwood area. The upper part of the tower and the clerestory are 15th century Perpendicular, and the tower arch is of the same period.

As is common, the chancel was much rebuilt in the 19th century. The series of carved heads on window hood moulds around the church are clearly of this period too.

Features of note in the interior include:

A Norman, or possibly earlier, font, circular bowl with arcading on a 19th century base.
On the north jamb of the tower arch there is scoring from the sharpening of arrows or similar. Although common on the exterior of churches, it is much less so inside. (There are further marks on the jambs of the south doorway).
Royal coat of arms of George IV, recently restored to its original position over the chancel arch.
Two small fragments of wall painting of the 13th/14th century uncovered during restoration in 2013, over which there appears to have been a later, possibly 17th century inscription, presumably of biblical texts.
A case over the north door contains an ophicleide and a serpent. These are musical instruments typical of church bands of the 19th century before the installation of organs.
Venetian tinted glass (from Murano) in the south side chancel windows.

The church has three bells, all of considerable age, the youngest dating from 1710, a second dated 1595 and the third being undated but certainly older.

There are several Swithland slate gravestones of the early 18th century in the churchyard, including some of the Belvoir Angel type.

The church is Listed Grade II*.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK6117, 71 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 24 February, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 28 February, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
14th Century 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 6198 1758 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:45.1374N 1:4.9890W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 6198 1758
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior  Aisle Arcade 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register