TQ3180 : Blackfriars Railway Bridge

taken 4 years ago, near to City of London, Great Britain

Blackfriars Railway Bridge
Blackfriars Railway Bridge
There have been two structures with the name. The first bridge was opened in 1864 and was designed by Joseph Cubitt for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. Massive abutments at each end carried the railway's insignia, preserved and restored on the south side. It eventually became too weak to support modern trains, and was removed in 1985 - all that remains is a series of columns crossing the Thames and the southern abutment, which is a Grade II listed structure LinkExternal link . The remaining bridge, built slightly further downstream (to the east), was originally called St Paul's Railway Bridge and opened in 1886. It was designed by John Wolfe-Barry and Henry Marc Brunel and is made of wrought iron.

See other images of Blackfriars Railway Bridge
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3180, 3136 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 8 October, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 15 March, 2017
Geographical Context
Rivers, Streams, Drainage  Railways 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3172 8067 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:30.5768N 0:6.2002W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3195 8055
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 7 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register