TA1181 : Graveyard statue, St Oswald's church, Filey

taken 7 years ago, near to Filey, North Yorkshire, England

Graveyard statue, St Oswald's church, Filey
Graveyard statue, St Oswald's church, Filey
A touching little girl with flowers in the graveyard of the church.
St Oswald's church, Filey

Grade I listed

The church stands in a commanding position above the town, and was built from the 12th century onwards.
It was probably founded by Augustinian Friars from Bridlington, and built on top of an older church.

There is a six bay nave with aisles and clerestory, transepts and crossing tower, chancel, and north and south porches.
The crossing tower of circa 1230, is of two stages with an embattled parapet. There are six bells, the oldest dating from 1675. In the tower stairs, there is a re-used fragment of Saxon interlace carving.
The south door has a semicircular arch of four orders. The porch itself was built in the 15th century.

Originally a tower was planned at the west end of the nave. The original partly built south west pillar can be seen leaning, and it is assumed that the work on the tower was abandoned in favour of the crossing tower.

The nave has alternating round and octagonal piers. These were built first, followed by the failed western tower. The transepts were built in the 13th century, each originally contained an altar.
The nave also contains a carved figure regarded as a memorial to a Boy Bishop dating from the 13th century however it could represent one of the Canons from Bridlington who served the church. At the west end there is also a stone altar which was found in the floor the church, and contains a receptacle for relics. It is probably from the Norman period or even older.
There is a plain bowl font from the 13th century with evidence of a lockable lid.
The original chancel was rebuilt in the 13th century. It has a triple lancet east window and a fine sedilia. The reredos dates from 1911 by Hodgson Fowler. On the outside of the south wall, near the Priest's door, there is a fine mass dial.

The church was restored in 1839 when the screen was removed and new pews installed. Prior to this there was a western gallery and also a singing gallery in the north transept.
In 1885 further restoration revealed the original stonework of the walls, parts of the transepts and north aisle were rebuilt, and the nave and aisles reroofed.

In 1908 there was a fire which caused damage to the roof which was partly rebuilt. The original organ was destroyed by this fire, and a new organ was installed on the north side of the chancel.

In the year 2000 the west end of the nave was developed to form a meeting room with a kitchen and toilet facility.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Religious sites Place: Filey Church: St Oswalds Primary Subject: Statue other tags: Statue Graveyard Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · St Oswald's Church [51] · Graveyard [3] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
TA1181, 139 images   (more nearby 🔍)
J.Hannan-Briggs   (more nearby)
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 14 March, 2017   (more nearby)
Monday, 27 March, 2017
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 1177 8106 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:12.7856N 0:17.2549W
Clickable map
W Go E
Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 58 times
You are not logged in login | register