SD5805 : Reredos (Central panel)

taken 3 years ago, near to Marylebone, Wigan, Great Britain

Reredos (Central panel)
Reredos (Central panel)
In front and below the East Window SD5805 : East Window and High Altar is the Reredos which was made when the church was rebuilt in 1847.

The central panel records The Adoration of the Lamb by the Church of God.

The Lamb is in centre of the aura, holding a pennon showing the cross and wreath. (A lamb with leg hooked around the pole of a flag shows Jesus as sacrifice that has triumphed.) This is surrounded by ten cherubim in a circle all facing the Lamb and two angels pointing to the Lamb and holding ends of a scroll with the words "Ecce Agnus Dei qui tollit peccatum mundi" (Behold the Lamb of God which takes away the sins of the world").

On the left, kneeling or standing in worship are five saints of the New Testament: St Stephen in red robe representing martyrs; St John the Baptist with staff representing prophets; St Peter with two huge keys hanging from his belt and St John with chalice and serpent at the hem of his green robe representing the apostles; The Virgin Mary in blue with lilies growing in grass.

On the right are four of the founders of the English Church: Chad, kneeling and holding his Bishop;s crozier next to a model of Lichfield Cathedral (He was 1st Bishop and Wigan was part of the Diocese of Lichfield until 1542); Etheldred crowned in nun's habit (She was Queen of Northumbria then foundress of Ely); Augustine in green with hands together in prayer (He was 1st Archbishop of Canterbury) and Paulinus in blue (He was 1st Archbishop of York to which province Wigan belongs).

Projecting above the central panel are two sculpted heads, both bearded. Below it are shields showing instruments of the Passion.

[Information was gleaned from an information sheet in the church].
All Saints Parish Church, Wigan
All Saints Church was established in Saxon times and was probably built on the site of a temple in the Roman settlement of Coccium. The present structure is at least the third building on the site. Major rebuilding took place in 1620 and 1849 and further restorations were made from 1898-1902, from 1947-1957 and from 2002-2006.

See Wigan Parish Church website LinkExternal link for more details.

The church is a Grade II* listed building LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD5805, 754 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 24 September, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 21 April, 2017
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Date (from Tags)
1542  1847 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5818 0566 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:32.7541N 2:37.9559W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5818 0566
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 29 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register