2016

SD5805 : St Christopher Window

taken 8 years ago, near to Wigan, England

St Christopher Window
St Christopher Window

This window, considered to be the most beautiful in the church, is by Morris and Fawkes from a design by Sir Edward Burne Jones. It was placed here in 1868 in memory of Edward Scott of Beech Hill by his widow. The centre light represents the story of St Christopher and sides have figures of the four archangels.
All Saints Parish Church, Wigan

All Saints Church was established in Saxon times and was probably built on the site of a temple in the Roman settlement of Coccium. The present structure is at least the third building on the site. Major rebuilding took place in 1620 and 1849 and further restorations were made from 1898-1902, from 1947-1957 and from 2002-2006.

See Wigan Parish Church website LinkExternal link for more details.

The church is a Grade II* listed building LinkExternal link


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Religious sites Person: Edward Burne-Jones Edward Scott Date: 1868 other tags: Stained Glass Window Morris and Fawkes St Christopher Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SD5805, 835 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Gerald England   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 24 September, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 22 April, 2017
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5815 0565 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:32.7486N 2:37.9830W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5816 0566
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 56 times
You are not logged in login | register