NS4472 : Bishopton Parish Church detail

taken 5 years ago, near to Rossland, Renfrewshire, Great Britain

Bishopton Parish Church detail
Bishopton Parish Church detail
For the building as a whole, see NS4472 : Bishopton Parish Church and various other pictures linked from there.

This detail, from above the entrance, is the coat of arms of Lord Blantyre (on whom, see NS4471 : Monument to Lord Blantyre):

"Or, a fesse, chequy, arg. and az., surmounted of a bend engrailed; and in a chief, a rose, gu."

Until about 2000, this was known as Erskine Parish Church.

The New Statistical Account (1845), in its account of Erskine Parish, states in connection with the building of this church in about 1813 that "the old church ..., having become ruinous, was pulled down in 1813, and the benetier, which held the holy water at the principal entrance, is still to be seen lying in the church-yard. It [that is, the old church] was situated in the middle of the church-yard; but the new one has been built at a little distance from it, on a site granted by Lord Blantyre".

It goes on to lament that the church could not have been built in a location more central to the parish, before noting that "the number of sittings in the church is 500, and the sittings at the communion table are appropriated to the poor. No seat-rents are exacted either by the heritors or kirk-session".
Bishopton Parish Church

The church, formerly Erskine Parish Church, was built in 181314; the architect was David Hamilton. The small castellated vestry at the eastern end was added in 190203, and is by William Daniel McLennan. The church was built using stone taken from a freestone quarry about a mile to the east. Old OS maps mark the former site of a church, the predecessor of this one, close to the centre of the kirkyard. A charter by Florentius (Florence, Bishop of Glasgow in the first decade of the 13th century) mentions the church of Erskine ("Irschin").

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS4472, 31 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 27 March, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 13 May, 2017
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Image Buckets ?
Closeup 
Primary Subject of Photo
Building Detail 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4466 7201 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:54.9615N 4:29.2268W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4464 7198
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Coat of Arms  Lord Blantyre 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look  cross grid 
This page has been viewed about 43 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register