2017

NY3650 : Former "Kings Arms", Dalston - June 2017 (1)

taken 7 years ago, near to Dalston, Cumbria, England

Former "Kings Arms", Dalston - June 2017 (1)
Former "Kings Arms", Dalston - June 2017 (1)
Dating from circa 1890, the Kings Arms pub was acquired by the State Management Scheme in February 1918. It appears to have been closed by the Scheme, who retained ownership as it was included in the 1972 Tender in the same lot as the adjoining Blue Bell Inn. The premises are now a café.

See also: NY3650 : Former "Kings Arms", Dalston - June 2017 (2) .

Photograph is for record only - I have no connection with any business seen in this view and cannot advise on their products or services.
The State Managed Pubs & Breweries of Carlisle and District :: NY4459

To supply munitions for the Great War, a huge complex was constructed north of Carlisle. Starting in the autumn of 1915, some 10-12,000 “navvies” built a glycerine plant at Dornock between Eastriggs and Annan, while a distilled ether plant was erected between Mossband and Longtown. Eventually stretching some 7 miles long by 2 miles deep with 17 miles of perimeter fencing, at its peak it employed some 20,000 people – mainly women but with a considerable number of male construction workers.
Unfortunately, the influx of “navvies” gave rise to serious drunkenness problems in the City of Carlisle. While Carlisle had some 120 licensed premises in 1916, many were small, one-roomed affairs which simply could not cope with the crowds. Also, the local Constabulary were greatly pressed, with 953 convictions for drunkenness in 1916 (compared with 250 in 1914/15). In addition, there was concern a “tired and emotional” worker could accidentally reduce the area to a very large hole in the ground!
The Government’s answer was to “nationalise” all the pubs and breweries in Carlisle, a process begun in July 1916 and which quickly extended out to Longtown in the east and Maryport in the south-west. Pubs around Gretna and Eastriggs were also included. All were under the control of a local Board, based at 19 Castle Street, Carlisle (now a bookshop), which imposed strict opening hours, a maximum (and very low) alcoholic content for beer and spirits, and a ban on “treating” (buying a round for your mates).
Many old or inadequate pubs were quickly closed. But the scheme did not end with the cessation of hostilities on 11 November 1918, with the last pub – the White Swan in Wigton – only being acquired in January 1921. Indeed, Government control of these pubs and breweries continued until 1971, with return to private ownership not completed until 1973.
As the Scottish pubs soon moved to the control of a local Board, this Shared Description is intended to cover only the pubs and breweries purchased by the Scheme in what is now north-west Cumbria, or built in the years 1916-1971 – or what may now be found on the site (if anything). Many have closed – some have been demolished and some are under new developments or even roads! But there is one excellent book on the subject – “The Carlisle State Management Scheme” by the late Olive Seabury (Bookcase – 2007 – currently out of print), while “Carlisle Breweries and Public Houses 1894-1916” by Steven Davidson (P3 Publications – 2004 – also out of print) is a very useful starting point. Also, the web sites: “The State Management Story” LinkExternal link (not regularly updated) and Wikipedia at: LinkExternal link


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright The Carlisle Kid and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Business, Retail, Services
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Blue Bell [6] Other Photos: · Former "Kings Arms", Dalston - June 2017 (2) ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NY3650, 93 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
The Carlisle Kid   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 19 June, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 20 June, 2017
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 369 501 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:50.5142N 2:59.0165W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 369 501
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 64 times
You are not logged in login | register