ST8291 : Church of St Andrew, Leighterton

taken 2 years ago, near to Leighterton, Gloucestershire, Great Britain

Church of St Andrew, Leighterton
Church of St Andrew, Leighterton
13th century tower arch with the frame for the tubular bells Link visible through it.
Church of St Andrew, Leighterton
The church consists of nave, chancel, and west tower of 13th century origin, 14th century south porch, and 19th century north aisle and vestry.

As with many churches it was quite dilapidated by the early 19th century. The first rebuild of that century involved extending the chancel beyond the original east wall in a 'hammer-head' layout, with pews or choirs stall at the side of the altar. The church was more substantially rebuilt in 1876-7 by Waller of Gloucester. This restored the east end to its original size, but resulted in new windows also being inserted in the south wall of the chancel. The requirement to cater for an expanded congregation required the addition of the north aisle.

The main original features remaining are the unusually flat 13th century chancel arch, and the stone section of the tower, including the arch into the nave. The window openings in the south wall of the nave are original but new windows have been inserted.

The upper, timber framed, part of the tower is also from the 19th century rebuilding.

Of interior fittings, the oldest is the piscina in the chancel, of the 13th century. The font is a fine example of the 14th century, with finely carved panels depicting the symbols of the passion. It is not original to the church but apparently was transferred from St Mary's church Wotton-under-edge in the 19th century.

The tower holds an interesting selection of bells. There are two traditional bells, one of 1510 and one of 1882, together with a set of 8 tubular bells, Harrington's Patent, installed in 1888.

The churchyard must not be overlooked. There are a total of 11 chest and pedestal tombs, typical of the Cotswolds, which have listed status, one being Grade II*.

The church is Listed Grade II*.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST8291, 83 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 27 June, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 3 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
13th Century 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 8236 9107 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:37.0904N 2:15.3708W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 8237 9107
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior  Tower Arch  Church Bells 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 8 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register