SK3547 : Church of St Peter, Belper

taken 1 year ago, near to Belper, Derbyshire, Great Britain

Church of St Peter, Belper
Church of St Peter, Belper
The interior looking west showing the organ LinkExternal link on the west gallery.
Church of St Peter, Belper
This is one of the Commissioners' Churches, built in 1822-4, one of the earlier ones to be built under the terms of the Church Building Act of 1818. Prior to this Belper was part of the parish of Duffield, and although there was a small medieval chapel of ease dedicated to St John, this was no longer adequate for the rapidly expanding town. The architect was Matthew Habershon, and the foundation stone was laid by the Duke of Devonshire.

The church consists of a single large space of 6 bays comprising nave and chancel, with a short extension for the altar at the east end flanked by lower vestries. There is a fine western tower which is unusually slender for its height. It rises to 100 feet but is only 20 feet wide at the base, and less at the top. The corner turrets were originally surmounted by crocketed pinnacles. The external style is an amalgam of Decorated and Perpendicular motifs.

Internally the church was fitted out in low church style, with galleries supported on cast iron columns. The organ dates from 1853, with later modifications.

The church is Listed Grade II; the churchyard wall is separately Listed Grade II

The paths to the church and the perimeter of the churchyard were planted with lime trees at an early stage. These have now grown to maturity and this makes the church difficult to appreciate in the round.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK3547, 83 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 9 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 11 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  City, Town centre 
Period (from Tags)
Early 19th Century 
Date (from Tags)
1824 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 3509 4767 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:1.5106N 1:28.6973W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 3509 4767
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior  Gallery (Church) 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 6 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register