SE7422 : Goole Harbour, South Dock

taken 2 years ago, near to Goole, East Riding of Yorkshire, Great Britain

Goole Harbour, South Dock
Goole Harbour, South Dock
From left to right, the main items of interest here are:

The green structure is a disused but preserved boat hoist. The hoist dates from ca1862 and was used to lift canal barge compartments and tip their cargo of coal into seagoing vessels. The compartment boats were popularly known as Tom Puddings LinkExternal link , hence the familiar local name for the structure is a "Tom Pudding Hoist". This is the only remaining one of the five hoists which operated at Goole. It is a Grade II* listed structure (List entry Number: 1083214 LinkExternal link Historic England).

The small, red “mini-lighthouse” looks appropriate for this site here but is not native to Goole. It has been relocated to here having been originally situated at Trent Falls where the Rivers Trent and Ouse meet. Dr Neil Clifton’s photo SE8623 : Trent Falls Light shows it in its original position in 1974. The exact date of the light's removal is not known, although it was definitely removed before 2003 and its replacement light does appear to be much older than that (LinkExternal link Worldwide Lighthouses). Today, the Trent Falls lighthouse, sometimes referred to as the Apex Light, is preserved at Goole; the wooden platform on which it stood is still in its original position at Trent Falls and hosts a more modern post-light atop it.

The tall white structure is a disused and derelict, mid to late nineteenth century hydraulic accumulator tower built for the Aire and Calder Navigation. Standing about 15 metres tall, its interior contains the original hydraulic machinery and iron ladder. A weighted ram compressed water in the cylindrical tank occupying the lower half of the tower, and provided hydraulic power for the boat hoist and other machinery in the nearby South Dock. The accumulator tower is a Grade II listed building (List entry Number: 1310668 LinkExternal link Historic England).
The Port of Goole :: SE7423
The Port of Goole developed once the canal had been constructed to transport coal from Knottingley in the northern sector of the coalfield in 1826. When the canal was completed, the Aire and Calder Navigation Company developed a new floating dock, capable of handling larger sea-going vessels. The town of Goole was built around the docks to house both the dock workers and visiting seamen. The town has grown from a community of about 450 people when Goole opened as a port on 20 July 1826, to its present size with a population of about 18,000 inhabitants

Three locks keep the water in 37 acres of floating docks at a constant depth of 6 metres (20 ft), by preventing the level from rising and falling with the tides in the River Ouse. Once ships are within the complex, eight docks provide a total quayside of 3 miles. Beside the docks are transit sheds where cargo is stored, many of which are equipped with overhead cranes.

For most of its life, the port was most associated with the shipment of coal, and associated cargoes including the importation of pit props. Goole's success as a port came from its ability to compete with the railways to export coal from the Humber. A major factor was the introduction, in 1863, of The “Tom Pudding” system of compartment boats LinkExternal link , which could carry around 40 long tons (41,000 kg) of coal. On reaching the docks, the barges were lifted by large hoists, from which they could be discharged directly into seagoing ships, a system which proved so successful that it competed against rail until 1985 (LinkExternal link Goole on the Web).

Following the decline of the coal industry, Goole has developed to handle a range of cargoes such as dry bulks including animal feed, agribulks, biomass, cement, cereals, clay products, construction materials, scrap metal, solid fuel. Timber is predominantly imported from Russia and the Baltic States, Finland, and Sweden. Storage facilities are in operation at Barge Dock for the storage of imported Liquid bulks such as vegetable oils (LinkExternal link Associated British Ports).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE7422, 180 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 5 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Tuesday, 11 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Canals  Docks, Harbours 
Canal (from Tags)
Aire and Calder 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G7 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 742 228 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:41.8094N 0:52.6239W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 742 229
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 195 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register