TA0626 : Makro Hull at St Andrews Quay

taken 1 year ago, 3 km from Kingston Upon Hull, Great Britain

Makro Hull at St Andrews Quay
Makro Hull at St Andrews Quay
Next to the Trans Pennine Trail overlooking the Humber estuary.
St Andrew's Dock/St Andrew's Quay :: TA0727
St Andrew's Dock opened in 1883, directly to the west of William Wright Dock. It was originally designed for the coal trade but by the time it opened in 1883 it was earmarked solely for the use of the fishing industry which was undergoing a period of rapid expansion. The dock was in use until 1975 when, with the expansion of the freezer trawler fleet it was decided to move the fish docks to new buildings at Albert Dock and St Andrew's Dock was closed
Partial filling in of the dock began in the 1980s. The western part has been redeveloped into the St Andrews Quay retail park while the eastern part of the dock, the area in the vicinity of the lockpit, was designated a Conservation Area in 1990 due to its social historic interest. The dock entrance, and some shipping company buildings remain in situ, but the remains of the dock are completely silted up.
LinkExternal link St Andrews Dock Conservation Area Character Statement
Humber Estuary
The Humber is a large tidal estuary on the east coast of Northern England. It is formed at Trent Falls, Faxfleet, by the confluence of the tidal rivers Ouse and Trent. From here to the North Sea, it forms part of the boundary between the East Riding of Yorkshire on the north bank and North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire on the south bank. Although the Humber is an estuary from the point at which it is formed, many maps show it as the River Humber.
Below Trent Falls, the Humber passes the confluence of the River Ancholme on the south shore; between North Ferriby and South Ferriby and under the Humber Bridge; between Barton-upon-Humber on the south bank and Kingston upon Hull on the north bank (where the River Hull joins), then meets the North Sea between Cleethorpes on the Lincolnshire side and the long and thin (but rapidly changing) headland of Spurn Head to the north.
Ports on the Humber include Kingston upon Hull (better known as simply Hull), Grimsby, Immingham, New Holland and Killingholme. The estuary is navigable here for the largest of deep-sea vessels.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Mat Fascione and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TA0626, 93 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 21 May, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 26 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Coastal  Paths  Business, Retail, Services 
Primary Subject of Photo
Store 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 067 265 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:43.4825N 0:23.0056W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 067 265
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Humber Estuary  Makro  Long Distance Path 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register