SK4341 : Church of St Wilfrid, West Hallam

taken 1 year ago, near to West Hallam, Derbyshire, Great Britain

Church of St Wilfrid, West Hallam
Church of St Wilfrid, West Hallam
Effigies of Cassandra and Walter Powtrell LinkExternal link .
Church of St Wilfrid, West Hallam
This is an unspectacular little church, but with some items of considerable interest. It consists of aisled nave, chancel, west tower and north porch.

Although some sources claim that parts of the church are 13th century, in particular the north aisle arcade; the Listing description however only dates the church to the 14th and 15th centuries. The earliest fabric that can be reliably assigned to a specific period is the early 14th century Decorated south aisle arcade. The chancel arch is later 14th century, and the chancel may be of this date, although much rebuilt in the 19th century.

There was major work carried out in the 15th century when the clerestory and tower were added. The north aisle arcade stonework appears to be continuous with the clerestory, and may be of this period.

The church underwent the usual 19th century restoration when it was completely re-roofed among other things. The porch was added at this time, on the north side of the church reflecting its location relative to the village.

The church has a number of interesting memorials and gravestones, including those of the Powtrell family who were lords of the manor from 1467 to 1687. Earliest is that of Thomas Powtrell, d.1484, while the most spectacular is the large alabaster chest tomb of c.1598 to Walter and his wife Cassandra.

The Powtrells were a recusant Roman Catholic family, the result of which was that in the early 17th century there could not exercise their right of advowson. As a result, in 1632 the new incumbent, John Scargill, was sponsored by Cambridge University, which must have had some connection with the parish.

Scargill was responsible for bringing education to the village, with bequests creating a school and a trust to support it. This trust continues to this day, still supporting the local school.

There are a number of other memorials spread around the church, mainly late 19th and early 20th century, and a few pieces of medieval glass which are thought to have passed to the church from West Hallam Hall in the 19th century.

The church has a ring of 8 bells, the earliest dating from 1618. The ring was made up to 6 in 1876 and completed in 1929.

The church is Listed Grade II*.

Much of the above detail is taken from the excellent local history website
LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK4341, 45 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 21 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 27 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
Late 16th Century 
Date (from Tags)
1598 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4323 4111 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:57.9370N 1:21.4687W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4323 4111
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior  Chest Tombs  Alabaster Tomb  Alabaster Effigy 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 6 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register