SK4341 : Church of St Wilfrid, West Hallam

taken 1 year ago, near to West Hallam, Derbyshire, Great Britain

Church of St Wilfrid, West Hallam
Church of St Wilfrid, West Hallam
View from the south west. The tower is 15th century, Perpendicular, as is the clerestory. The Listing description comments that the 20th century boiler house is “not of special interest”!
Church of St Wilfrid, West Hallam
This is an unspectacular little church, but with some items of considerable interest. It consists of aisled nave, chancel, west tower and north porch.

Although some sources claim that parts of the church are 13th century, in particular the north aisle arcade; the Listing description however only dates the church to the 14th and 15th centuries. The earliest fabric that can be reliably assigned to a specific period is the early 14th century Decorated south aisle arcade. The chancel arch is later 14th century, and the chancel may be of this date, although much rebuilt in the 19th century.

There was major work carried out in the 15th century when the clerestory and tower were added. The north aisle arcade stonework appears to be continuous with the clerestory, and may be of this period.

The church underwent the usual 19th century restoration when it was completely re-roofed among other things. The porch was added at this time, on the north side of the church reflecting its location relative to the village.

The church has a number of interesting memorials and gravestones, including those of the Powtrell family who were lords of the manor from 1467 to 1687. Earliest is that of Thomas Powtrell, d.1484, while the most spectacular is the large alabaster chest tomb of c.1598 to Walter and his wife Cassandra.

The Powtrells were a recusant Roman Catholic family, the result of which was that in the early 17th century there could not exercise their right of advowson. As a result, in 1632 the new incumbent, John Scargill, was sponsored by Cambridge University, which must have had some connection with the parish.

Scargill was responsible for bringing education to the village, with bequests creating a school and a trust to support it. This trust continues to this day, still supporting the local school.

There are a number of other memorials spread around the church, mainly late 19th and early 20th century, and a few pieces of medieval glass which are thought to have passed to the church from West Hallam Hall in the 19th century.

The church has a ring of 8 bells, the earliest dating from 1618. The ring was made up to 6 in 1876 and completed in 1929.

The church is Listed Grade II*.

Much of the above detail is taken from the excellent local history website
LinkExternal link
Listed Buildings and Structures
Listed buildings and structures are officially designated as being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance. There are over half a million listed structures in the United Kingdom, covered by around 375,000 listings.
Listed status is more commonly associated with buildings or groups of buildings, however it can cover many other structures, including bridges, headstones, steps, ponds, monuments, walls, phone boxes, wrecks, parks, and heritage sites, and in more recent times a road crossing (Abbey Road) and graffiti art (Banksy 'Spy-booth') have been included.

In England and Wales there are three main listing designations;
Grade I (2.5%) - exceptional interest, sometimes considered to be internationally important.
Grade II* (5.5%) - particularly important buildings of more than special interest.
Grade II (92%) - nationally important and of special interest.

There are also locally listed structures (at the discretion of local authorities) using A, B and C designations.

In Scotland three classifications are also used but the criteria are different. There are around 47,500 Listed buildings.
Category A (8%)- generally equivalent to Grade I and II* in England and Wales
Category B (51%)- this appears generally to cover the ground of Grade II, recognising national importance.
Category C (41%)- buildings of local importance, probably with some overlap with English Grade II.

In Northern Ireland the criteria are similar to Scotland, but the classifications are:
Grade A (2.3%)
Grade B+ (4.7%)
Grade B (93%)

…read more at wikipedia LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK4341, 44 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 21 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 27 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
14th Century  15th Century 
Style (from Tags)
Perpendicular 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4321 4111 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:57.9371N 1:21.4865W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4319 4110
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Parish Church  Church Tower  Grade II(star) Listed 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 14 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register