ST5872 : A welcome roof

taken 2 years ago, near to Bristol, Great Britain

A welcome roof
A welcome roof
St Nicholas Market was established in response to the petitions of the traders in the Corn Street area. Originally, the Corn Exchange was built in the early 1730s to designs by John Wood the Elder. Some old houses were demolished to do so and some space was made available to create the market area.

By the 1803s, an open-air corn market was proving popular but a call for a covered market was eventually answered in 1869. Edward Middleton Barry designed a glass roof over the central hall, which was finished in 1872.

Sadly, the roof was badly damaged in the Blitz and rebuilt in 1949, leaving this feature. A Thomas Allen of Clifton made the ironwork. His firm made all sorts of ironmongery from 1841-87.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Neil Owen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST5872, 2564 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 27 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Saturday, 29 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Business, Retail, Services  City, Town centre 
Primary Subject of Photo
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 5886 7297 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:27.2524N 2:35.6081W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 5885 7296
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
Glass Roof 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 5 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register