SY1287 : An ancient bit of wall

taken 1 year ago, near to Sidmouth, Devon, Great Britain

An ancient bit of wall
An ancient bit of wall
A blue plaque just above this piece of rubblestone wall describes it as being a section of St Peter's Chapel, which belonged to the nearby Otterton Priory, and dating back to sometime before 1322. After the Dissolution (of the monasteries in the 1530s/1540s, presumably) the chapel fell empty, and then became an ale house called "At the sign of the Anchor" which was duly demolished in 1805. This appears to be all that remains, although one wonders how much more lies behind the cob or render on the walls either side of this small section.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Law and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SY1287, 949 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 15 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 30 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  Derelict, Disused 
Primary Subject of Photo
Wall 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SY 12632 87263 [1m precision]
WGS84: 50:40.7067N 3:14.2749W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SY 12632 87263
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 4 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register