SK4641 : Church of St Mary, Ilkeston

taken 1 year ago, near to Ilkeston, Derbyshire, Great Britain

Church of St Mary, Ilkeston
Church of St Mary, Ilkeston
Entrance to the 1920 vestry with the commemorative inscription for the dead of World War 1.
Church of St Mary, Ilkeston
The church as it stands today mirrors the expansion of Ilkeston in the 19th century as an industrial town.

It comprises aisled nave with chancel and west tower, the chancel being flanked by a large former chantry chapel on the north side, and a substantial vestry on the south side.

As with many churches, the exterior is largely Victorian in character. By the middle of the 19th century, the medieval church was substantially dilapidated. The steeple had been destroyed by lightning in 1714 and the chancel roof collapsed in 1741. Major restoration completed in 1855 included the rebuilding of the tower and reconstruction of St Peter's Chapel on the north side of the chancel. This had also collapsed in 1714, and the fine 14th century arcade, blocked up since them, was opened up again.

In 1910 the nave was extended by three bays, the tower being dismantled and re-erected. The final stage of building was an expansion of the vestry on the south side of the chancel, completed in 1920 and dedicated as a war memorial.

Of particular note are:
- the three eastern bays of the south aisle arcade. Dating from the late 12th century in Transitional style, they have pointed arches but have Norman Chevron moulding and stiff-leaf decoration to the capitals. The equivalent bays on the north side are Early English, and were copied for the 1910 extension.
- the arcade into St Peter's Chapel, dated to 1386. The capitals are decorated with a remarkable series of Green Man faces.
- Early English 3-bay sedilia and attached piscina in the chancel
- the 13th century effigy of Nicolas de Cantelupe, also in the chancel

The church is Listed Grade II*.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK4641, 203 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 28 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 2 August, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  City, Town centre  People, Events 
Period (from Tags)
Early 20th Century 
Date (from Tags)
1920 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4656 4172 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:58.2493N 1:18.4889W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4656 4172
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Doorway  War Memorial WWI  Inscription 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 7 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register