TL8564 : Athenaeum, Angel Hill, Bury Saint Edmunds

taken 1 year ago, near to Bury st Edmunds, Suffolk, Great Britain

Athenaeum, Angel Hill, Bury Saint Edmunds
Athenaeum, Angel Hill, Bury Saint Edmunds
Grade I Listed 17th century house converted into an Assembly House in 1714. It was probably Sir Roger Martin of Long Melford who rebuilt the house as seen in various 18th century prints at which point it had three storeys and was known as the ‘New’ or ‘White House’. In 1713 Sir Roger Martin sold the property to John Eastland a dancing master who began to hold public assemblies there. The White House was then rebuilt with two storeys in 1789, by George Anderson who had purchased it in 1777. At this point, the building was known as the ‘New Assembly Rooms’. Anderson was bankrupt and sold it to James Oakes heading a consortium of 12 men in 1801. The 1804 alterations were financed (at a cost of £5000) by subscribers, which is why the building became known as the ‘New Subscription Rooms’ and in 1806 James Oakes conveyed it to the principal subscribers. The Athenaeum Literary Institute acquired the building in 1854. In 1935, the Athenaeum (library, reading room or institution for the promotion of literary or scientific learning) was acquired by the Bury St Edmunds Corporation. From the 1950s to the present day (2017) owned by St Edmundsbury Borough Council and managed in association with the Council’s catering partners, Sodexo Prestige, it is known for playing host to wedding receptions, balls, conferences, dinners and more.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jo Turner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL8564, 1229 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 22 June, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 13 August, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  City, Town centre 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 8552 6414 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:14.6501N 0:42.9566E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 8550 6416
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 11 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register