SK7565 : Church of the Holy Rood, Ossington

taken 10 months ago, near to Ossington, Nottinghamshire, Great Britain

Church of the Holy Rood, Ossington
Church of the Holy Rood, Ossington
Grade I listed

Ossington has a long history, dating back to before the conquest. The church stands in the estate of the now demolished Ossington Hall, on the site of an earlier church which dated back to the 12th century. It was in a poor state of repair and demolished to make way for the new church.
The current church dates from 1782 and was built by John Carr of York for Robert Denison, one of the estate owners and brother of the rich merchant William Denison.

The church is built in the classical style with a west tower, nave and chancel under one roof, and vestry and porch to the south. There was a large domed mausoleum at the east end of the church. Unfortunately this was unsafe and demolished in 1838. The vaults beneath it still remain.
Some tombs and monuments from the old church were installed in the new building, including a tomb chest with brass and a monument to William Cartwright and family. Likewise some of the old bells were reused, there are now 6 bells.
A vestry was added to the south side in 1890, and is the north door built in 1893.

The tower is of three stages of square plan. At the third stage there are three Tuscan columns at each corner with a dome at the top.
The interior of the church consists of nave and chancel as one with a "Rood screen" consisting of two pillars with Rood above which separates the two parts. The windows are round headed with some good stained-glass. At the west end of the nave there are two statues to William and Robert Denison by Nollekens.

In the sanctuary there is a monuments to William Cartwright and family including his 12 children. There is also an altar tomb with brass on the south side to Reynald Peckham and wife.

There is a Victorian pipe organ and an older barrel organ at the west end.

The pulpit was carved by Lady Elinor Denison.

In the churchyard there is a sundial on a tall column. This was originally in the garden of the now demolished Hall, and dates back to at least the 17th century.
Church of the Holy Rood, Ossington
A typical "estate" church, built for the convenience of the owner of Ossington Hall, rather than the village. It was built between 1782 and 1785 as a replacement for an earlier church to the design of John Carr of York, and remains little altered from its original state.

Originally there was a mausoleum of the Denison family attached to the east end, but this became unstable and was demolished in 1838, the east wall of the church remaining blank. A vestry was added in the 19th century.

The church remains a fine example of a Georgian period church. Listed Grade I.

The churchyard contains the graves of many of the Denison family who owned Ossington Hall, as well as a fine Grade II* listed sundial. The perimeter wall of the churchyard is also Listed Grade II.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK7565, 53 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 13 August, 2017   (more nearby)
Monday, 14 August, 2017
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Near (from Tags)
Church (from Tags)
Holy Rood 
Primary Subject of Photo
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 759 651 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:10.6831N 0:51.9491W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 759 651
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register