TG1823 : 1961 Doe Triple D tractor

taken 1 year ago, near to Marsham, Norfolk, Great Britain

1961 Doe Triple D tractor
1961 Doe Triple D tractor
This Doe Triple D with the registration number 1416 UR and the Doe production number D201 combines two Fordson Super Major units.

Ernest Doe & Sons is a long established family firm with a network of branches in the South and East of England. The company started in 1898 with the lease of a blacksmith shop in Ulting near Maldon, Essex. During the 1950s, they were selling the products of several tractor manufacturers but when, in the late 1950s, local farmers were asking for a more powerful tractor to work the heavy land, the company launched its own tractor the Doe Dual Drive (commonly known as the Doe Triple D). This tractor is a combination of two Fordson Super Major tractor units, minus their front wheels but with a turntable slung between them. This created a four wheel drive, articulated tractor, which at 100 horsepower, was twice as powerful as most other tractors on the market.

It was the farmer George Pryor who is said to have been the first to invent the Triple D and production, in cooperation with Ernest Doe & Sons, started in 1957. The initial combination of two Fordson Power Major units was, however, soon replaced by the Super Major, and the tractor was renamed the Doe Dual Drive, or Triple D. After the introduction of high-powered 4-wheel drive tractors produced by several companies, the Doe tractors became too expensive and production ceased. The last Triple Ds were built in 1964. Between 1958 and 1964 a total of 289 Triple Ds had been produced. A current list of preserved Doe Triple D (all models) tractors lists 44 specimens, some of which form part of the "Dancing Does display team".
Marsham Starting Handle Club Summer Show 2017
The show, the seventh in as many years, was held over the weekend of 12/13th August. It is growing bigger every year. More than 500 exhibitors displayed their tractors, stationary engines, vintage lawnmowers and agricultural implements, but there is much more to see on the 13-acres site which adjoins Orchard Cottage in Allison Street, such as several rare, "dancing" dual drive Doe-built tractors, classic and military vehicles and motorcycles, demonstrations in the parade ring of working gun and sheep dogs and demonstrations of old-time ploughing and harvesting in a crop field nearby. For the first time since its restoration the Soame steam wagonette was featured. The first tractor pulling event in the county for 27 years was also held here (in 2013). Fairground organs create just the right atmosphere, a bouncy castle provides entertainment for the younger visitors, and a variety of stalls can be sampled in the fun fair section of the site. Food vendors guarantee that no-one will be going home hungry.

According to Bob Parke, the site owner and one of the organisers, the show featured 350 tractors, over 100 classic cars, and about 80 motorcycles and had about 2,500 visitors.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG1823, 308 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 13 August, 2017   (more nearby)
Monday, 14 August, 2017
Geographical Context
Farm, Fishery, Market Gardening  People, Events 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 1834 2340 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:45.8427N 1:14.0854E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 1837 2340
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 7 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register