NS3673 : John Knox's yew tree, Finlaystone House

taken 37 years ago, near to Langbank, Renfrewshire, Great Britain

John Knox's yew tree, Finlaystone House
John Knox's yew tree, Finlaystone House
Reputedly the tree under which John Knox gave communion to the family of the 5th Earl of Glencairn, who owned the house, in 1556. The tree is now further south than it was then - it was moved to its present position in 1900.
Finlaystone House and Estate
See LinkExternal link for the history of the house, and LinkExternal link for information about the surrounding estate. Finlaystone House (c.1764), standing on the site of an earlier castle, was originally the work of John Douglas, but alterations and additions were made c.1872, and more extensively, by John James Burnet, from 1898-1903.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Sutcliffe and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3673, 104 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
June 1981   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 18 August, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Park and Public Gardens 
Primary Subject of Photo
Tree 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3642 7371 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:55.7131N 4:37.1902W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3641 7373
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph  · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register