TF0897 : Church of St Luke, Haycorns Gatehouse Road, Holton le Moor

taken 3 years ago, near to Holton le Moor, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Church of St Luke, Haycorns Gatehouse Road, Holton le Moor
Church of St Luke, Haycorns Gatehouse Road, Holton le Moor
Grade II Listed Parish Church. A Church has stood on this spot for approximately 1000 years. There have been two major restorations: that of 1854 by George Place of Nottingham in the Early English style, and in 1926 the Church was enlarged at the instigation of the Reverend T G Dixon, Squire of Holton. The architect was H G Gamble of Nottingham, and the funds for the work were raised by the sale of timber from the Holton Estate. The original foundation is thought to have been Saxon and there was a Chapel here attached to the Mother Church of Caistor when the Domesday Book was compiled. The main doorway, widened in the 1854 reconstruction, dates from the Norman Conquest. Two cable moulding stones incorporated into the font in 1926 are of similar date, previous to the 1926 enlargement, the Holy Water stoop near the door, with its 13th Century capital, was used as a font. The original bell had the inscription 'Nicholass Bestoe 1634'. The bell hung in a wooden bell tower from which it fell in 1847. Subsequently it was recast to form two bells placed in a 3-niche bell turret. When this became unsafe, the present 2-niche turret was built to house the bells. To mark the start of the New Millennium in 2000, the bells were overhauled and the clappers and bell wheels renewed in 1999.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jo Turner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0897, 42 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 16 May, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 20 August, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0820 9781 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:27.9555N 0:22.2950W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0822 9780
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 13 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register