TF1194 : Church of St Mary, St Mary's Lane, Claxby

taken 3 years ago, near to Claxby, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Church of St Mary, St Mary's Lane, Claxby
Church of St Mary, St Mary's Lane, Claxby
Grade I Listed Parish Church. It was probably begun in the 13th century by the Brayboeuf family, then the most important local landowners; certainly Reginald, son of Simon de Brayboeuf, was appointed vicar by his father in 1275. The earliest Claxby parish registers begin in 1566, when there were 40 households in the village. Few external alterations seem to the made to St Mary's after the medieval period and a detailed drawing made by John Nattes in 1796 indicates that it had become somewhat dilapidated by Georgian times. In 1870 the growth in population, together with the increasing dilapidation of the Church led to the thorough restoration of St Mary's. James Fowler an energetic Louth architect also employed at Normanby, was commissioned to demolish the medieval tower and build a replacement and to construct an entirely new south aisle, together with a new vestry and organ chamber attached to the chancel. Completed in 1871, with 50 being raised from local subscriptions while the remaining 950 was contributed by the rector, the Rev Samuel Wright Andrews. The interior was redecorated in 1967. The organ was built in Lincoln by Nicholson in the 1870s. There is a peal of 5 bells, two of which are medieval, one cast by Harrison, the firm of chronometer fame, and two added in 1877.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jo Turner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF1194, 78 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 16 May, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 20 August, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 1112 9457 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:26.1724N 0:19.7256W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 1111 9456
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register