SE5158 : East Pavilion, Beningbrough Hall

taken 5 years ago, near to Nun Monkton, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

East Pavilion, Beningbrough Hall
East Pavilion, Beningbrough Hall
One of two pavilions outside Beningbrough Hall. Each pavilion has a hipped roof with a leaded ogee-capped cupola with ball and spire finials. The west pavilion has a bell, whilst the east pavilion has a wind clock.
Beningbrough Hall and Gardens

Beningbrough Hall is a large Georgian mansion situated approximately 6 miles (10 km) north west of York, near the village of Beningbrough. It was built in 1716 by a York landowner, John Bourchier III to replace his family's modest Elizabethan manor. Bourchier was High Sheriff of Yorkshire between 1719 and 1721.

During the Second World War the hall was occupied by the Royal Air Force then latterly, the Royal Canadian Air Force, when under No 6 Group of Bomber Command, they took over some of the bases in the region (such as the nearby RAF Linton-on-Ouse and RAF Leeming). It was acquired by the National Trust after it had been accepted by the government in lieu of death duties following the death of its last private owner, Lady Chesterfield, in 1957.

Externally, the house is a red-brick Georgian mansion with a grand drive running to the main frontage and a walled garden. The Hall is set in extensive grounds and is separated from them by an example of a ha-ha (a sunken wall) to prevent sheep and cattle entering the Hall's gardens or the Hall itself. The hall is a Grade I listed building (List entry Number: 1150998 LinkExternal link Historic England).

LinkExternal link National Trust

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE5158, 183 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 October, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 28 October, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Housing, Dwellings  Country estates 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G7 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 516 585 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:1.2280N 1:12.7808W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 516 585
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 30 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register