SP0343 : Chancel stained glass window, All Saints' church, Evesham

taken 2 years ago, near to Evesham, Worcestershire, Great Britain

Chancel stained glass window, All Saints' church, Evesham
Chancel stained glass window, All Saints' church, Evesham
Depicting Cain & Abel and The Stoning of Stephen, by Preedy 1875.
All Saints' church, Evesham

Grade I listed

All Saints’ church is one of two parish churches in the precinct of Evesham Abbey, and it shares the churchyard of Saint Lawrence's church, although in a separate parish.

The church dates from Norman times, but is mostly fifteenth and sixteenth century, and was restored in 1874 by F. Preedy.

There is a western tower with spire, western porch, aisled nave, transepts, south chapel, chancel, north east organ chamber and vestries. On the south side of the south aisle is a Chapel to Abbot Lichfield circa 1513.
The west tower has a lavish west porch, with the entrance from the north. The porch dates from the sixteenth century and has a flat panelled ceiling with central boss. There is an inner porch under the tower which has a Holy water stoup. The doorway dates from the twelfth century. There is also a rare carving of the Horned Moses, ( where a mistranslation from Hebrew in which the word for "Rays" were translated as "Horns"), probably from the old Evesham Abbey which was dissolved in 1540.
The tower is of three stages with an embattled parapet and spire with lucarnes.

The church was originally aisleless with a cruciform layout. The north transept dates from the fourteenth century, the south transept is from the fifteenth century. The north and south aisles were added slightly later.

The nave has four bay arcades (which includes the transepts). The chancel arch is fourteenth century style, but only the upper part is mediaeval. The roofs date from the nineteenth century.
The original chancel is from the 13th C, and was redesigned and enlarged in the 1870's
The south Chapel was built by Abbot Lichfield and has a richly carved fan vaulted roof. Originally it housed the Lichfield tomb and brass, but these disappeared in Cromwell's time.

There is an octagonal font from the perpendicular period. There are several bosses taken from the Abbey church, and numerous wall monuments. The stained glass windows are from a variety of makers. The main restorer of the church was Frederick Preedy, and there is a reredos and pulpit, as well as several stained glass windows by him.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP0343, 427 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 27 October, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 31 October, 2017
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Church (from Tags)
All Saints 
Place (from Tags)
Evesham 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 0373 4369 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:5.4927N 1:56.8183W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Frederick Preedy  Stained Glass Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 17 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register