2017

SH7972 : The Pin Mill at Bodnant Garden

taken 7 years ago, near to Graig, Conwy, Wales

The Pin Mill at Bodnant Garden
The Pin Mill at Bodnant Garden
This building derives its name from its original use at Woodchester, Gloucestershire whence it was removed here in 1939. Listed grade 2* (CADW reference 65).
Bodnant Garden

One of the National Trust's most popular properties in Wales, Bodnant is unusual in that the main house is not open to the public. What attracts visitors is the garden* which comprises formal plantings, classical vistas, a picturesque valley with a disused water mill, water features, an arboretum and miles of woodland and meadow paths. The garden was established in 1874 by Henry Pochin and given to the National Trust in 1949.

See LinkExternal link for the official website.

* although often called "Bodnant Gardens", an acquaintance who worked there assures me it should always be referred to in the singular.

The Pin Mill

Originally constructed as a garden house at Woodchester in Gloucestershire in about 1730.Afterwards it was used as mill for the manufacture of pins hence the name but was later used a store for a tannery.
Henry, the 2nd Lord Aberconway, admired the building which by 1938 was in a very dilapidated state of repair. A venture to raise funds for repairs, locally, failed and he then purchased it providing the tanner with a more suitable store.
The estate joiners and masons were sent to dismantle it, carefully numbering each item along with the roof timbers and tiles which were then transported to Bodnant. Here it was re-erected in brick as was the case originally, and rough cast outside.
Various alterations were made including repositioning windows and restoring the ogee shape to the roof.
A staircase was included, designed by the architect,J. Murray Easton, who advised on the other alterations. The staircase was made in the joinery shop of the shipbuilders, John Brown of Clydebank of which Henry was chairman.
After deliberation the current site was selected and work was completed in 1939.
Today it is used as a wedding venue.


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Country estates other tags: Former Industrial Buildings Grade II(star) Listed National Trust Property Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Pin Mill [60] Title Clusters: · The Pin Mill at Bodnant Garden [3] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SH7972, 360 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Stephen Craven   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 25 May, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 23 November, 2017
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 7987 7224 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:14.0138N 3:48.0752W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 7989 7225
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 68 times
You are not logged in login | register