NS4075 : Dumbarton Building Society stone in Silverton Avenue

taken 3 years ago, near to Bellsmyre, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

Dumbarton Building Society stone in Silverton Avenue
Dumbarton Building Society stone in Silverton Avenue
For context, see NS4075 : Silverton Avenue, where this inscribed tablet can be seen on the front of the nearest building on the left. The date 1923 applies only to the houses on that side (the west) of the avenue. Those on the other side were built earlier, in 1914.

Dumbarton Building Society had its origins at a special meeting of the Dumbarton Equitable Co-operative Society on the 30th of January 1873. There, Mr John Barr indicated that a number of workers at Messrs Swan's yard wished to form a building society. An interim committee was formed. At their first general meeting, on 26th February, the official committee was appointed.

The organisation was at that time called the Dumbarton Land and Buildings Investment Company. The change of name came in February 1878, when the Society came under the Building Societies' Act.

On the occasion of their Jubilee Year, a commemorative stone of polished granite, the one shown in the present picture, was built into the corner house on the west side of Silverton Avenue, nearest Glasgow Road. While it is a date stone, after a fashion, it is essentially a commemorative stone for the Society's Jubilee Year. On Saturday 1st December 1923, a ceremony was held at the building, when the stone was unveiled by Mr William A Hutchison, the president. Luncheon was then served in the Co-operative Hall, 46 High Street, Dumbarton, to which members of the Society of thirty years' membership, past members of the Committee, and officials, were invited.

The above details are from the "Jubilee Souvenir of Dumbarton Building Society Ltd 18731923: Fifty Years' History" (James Lyon, 1923).

Another building in Dumbarton has a stone with an inscription mentioning the Society: the stone is shown in NS4075 : Dumbarton Building Society plaque, and it is built into a tenement block that was originally called Grange Place: NS4075 : Grange Place, Glasgow Road, Dumbarton. Below that inscription there used to be the additional text "Erected 1906", but it has fallen off or, more likely, been removed, at some point in the intervening century and more. In addition, the name Grange Place may have appeared above the surviving inscription.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS4075, 156 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 19 January, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 31 January, 2018
Geographical Context
Housing, Dwellings 
Image Buckets ?
Closeup 
Primary Subject of Photo
Building Detail 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4077 7503 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.5116N 4:33.0641W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4077 7502
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Date Stone 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 71 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register