SE6051 : St Martin le Grand, York - courtyard

taken 7 months ago, near to York, Great Britain

St Martin le Grand, York - courtyard
St Martin le Grand, York - courtyard
The courtyard, formerly the nave of the church before it was bombed in 1942, has been left open to the elements as a peace garden.
St Martin le Grand church, York
Grade II* listed.

The church dates from the 11th C. although little of this is left. The tower and old part of the church is 15th C.
In mediaeval York, Coney Street was occupied by wealthy merchants, and St Martin's was one of the more important parish churches within the city.
Originally there was a five bay arcade to the south aisle which was converted to the nave after the church was bombed in 1942. The church lay in ruins and was not rededicated until 1968. The original nave and north aisle were left open as a courtyard.
It is dominated by a large 15th C window in the north wall which was originally the great west window. It was removed in 1940 and thus survived the destruction. The window was given in 1437 by Robert Semer, vicar 1425 - 1443. He was also responsible for a major rebuilding of the church.

The south wall of the church survived the destruction, but the north wall is a modern reconstruction and holds various monuments salvaged from the church. One is a monument to Sir William Sheffield who died in 1633. There is also a small brass, an effigy of Christopher Harrington who died in 1614 which was salvaged from the bombed church.
The south wall contains some original mediaeval glass and the east window depicts the church engulfed in flames by Harry stammers from 1968. The 19th century glass is by J.W. Knowles

The organ was built in 1967 and was presented by the people of Germany. This unique instrument is suspended from the ceiling in a glass case.

Outside the church on Coney Street there is a large clock surmounted by a small figure known as the "Little Admiral".

The church is now dedicated to peace and reconciliation.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE6051, 2134 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 17 February, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 27 February, 2018
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 6016 5186 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:57.5602N 1:5.0770W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 6017 5186
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Courtyard  Church Ruins 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 13 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register