SK6608 : Church of All Saints, Beeby

taken 1 year ago, near to Beeby, Leicestershire, Great Britain

Church of All Saints, Beeby
Church of All Saints, Beeby
The aumbry door is continental wood carving showing the Adoration of the Magi, probably 17th century, and probably brought in by Revd Calvert.
Church of All Saints, Beeby
An attractive ironstone church, with a number of interesting features.

The church consists of aisled nave with chancel, west tower and south porch.

The bulk of the church is 14th and 15th century, although some of the south aisle is probably earlier. The aisle windows have a variety of good specimens of Decorated tracery.The tower is a fine example Perpendicular work, with double-tier 3-light openings to the bell chamber. The truncated spire was never completed. The tower is set within the body of the church, probably due to the lack of space between the end of the church and the churchyard wall.The clerestory is from this period also.

The chancel is a well preserved example of late Georgian work, rebuilt in brick in 1819 under the Rev'd George Calvert. It has a fine east window in Decorated style, created in Warwickshire red sandstone, an unusual choice for the district. The stained glass is an early work (1843) by Thomas Willement, on of the pioneers of the revival of medieval stained glass techniques in the 19th century. It depicts a number of Old Testament figures.

Calvert was responsible for most of the carved stone figures around the church, including those at the springings of the arcade hood moulds, and those alongside the east window. Other items attest to his antiquarian interests.

The font consists of a bowl of indeterminate date, but possibly 17th century, supported by a 13th century pedestal comprising 4 collonettes with nail-head and dog-tooth decoration. The font cover is probably 18th century.

The oak chancel and south aisle screens are unusually early dating from the 14th century with Decorated style tracery based on the reticulated style. The rood cross is a 19th century addition by W D Caröe who restored the screen and chancel in 1893.

The ornate early 19th century commandments board takes its inspiration from the same source.

The seating is a mixture of early-mid 19th century box pews and plain bench pews from the 1893 restoration.

The royal arms appear in the form of a stone sculpture above the tower arch. They date from the reign of William IV and are unusual in showing the arms of his consort, Queen Adelaide, alongside

The only monument of note is a small tablet alongside the east window with an extensive Latin panegyric to Rector Edward Lawrence who was the incumbent at the time of the deposition of Charles I. He died in 1645 as a result of the treatment he received from the Puritan rebels for upholding his faith.

The church is Listed Grade II*.

Since 1990 it has been in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust LinkExternal link . In addition to the standard handy leaflet, the trust provides a more comprensive guide to the church.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK6608, 66 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 23 March, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 27 March, 2018
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
17th Century 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 6642 0832 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:40.1119N 1:1.1547W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 6642 0832
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Aumbry  Wood Carving 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 2 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register