TQ3508 : St Laurence's Church, Falmer

taken 2 years ago, near to Falmer, East Sussex, Great Britain

St Laurence's Church, Falmer
St Laurence's Church, Falmer
Falmer has had a church since the 11th century and thousands of people must have worshipped on this spot through the years. The present building was built on the remains of the ancient church in 1817 and, with various additions, became the church you see today.
Monthly concerts are held in the church, an art show takes place in September and we have an annual Flower Festival in June.
Off East Street
LinkExternal link
St Laurence's Church, Falmer
The church of St. Laurence at Falmer consists of a nave and chancel with a vestry to the north of the chancel, a west tower, and it has a gallery and organ loft at the west end of the nave.
Church registers start in 1649.
Rebuilding Falmer Church
In 1815 the churchwardens at Falmer borrowed £300 to rebuild the church at Falmer from the Earl of Chichester.
A notebook of Frederick Jones of East Hoathly (1842-1931), who was a Pelham estate servant, gives the following information. Falmer Church was rebuilt by the liberal encouragement and aid of the Earl of Chichester mainly on the foundations of the former church. The first stone was laid by Henry Thomas Lord Pelham who was then 11 years old on 1 May 1815 and was opened for Divine Service on 24 December 1815. This seems a very short period to rebuild the church.
A photograph in the Sussex County Magazine published about 1936 has a picture of Falmer church from Newmarket Hill and has the text “The church was rebuilt in 1817”.
Enlarging Falmer Church
On the 24 March 1840 a contract was drawn up between Joseph Davy of Lewes, builder, William Davey of Lewes, plumber and Henry Davey of Lewes, saddler, with Henry Thomas Pelham, the Earl of Chichester and James Hodson and George Hilder, gentlemen, the churchwardens for enlarging Falmer church. It would appear that at this time a Vestry was built on the side of the church, the church was furnished with new pews and the churchyard was extended.
Uniting the parishes of Falmer and Stanmer
The Rectory of Stanmer and the Vicarage of Falmer were formerly separate Benefices, but as early the mid-1600s application was made for the Rector of Stanmer to take Falmer as well, and for the next 200 years this plan was nearly always pursued.
The Parsonage House of Stanmer was in the Village, near the Church, with glebe land within Stanmer Park near the Village.
The Vicarage House of Falmer, with its buildings and grounds was near the road leading from Falmer to Rottingdean.
In the year 1809, there was an Act of Parliament (49 George III.) for uniting the Benefices but this was not followed through. There was another Act in 1835 which finally united the benefices of Stanmer and Falmer.

Norman Allcorn's grandparents Frank John Allcorn and Edith Lucy Allcorn are buried in Falmer Church Yard. Frank Allcorn was the tenant farmer at Lower Bevendean Farm from 1908 to 1942.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Adrian Cable and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3508, 179 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 22 March, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 31 March, 2018
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
Church of England 
In (from Tags)
East Sussex 
At (from Tags)
Falmer 
Off (from Tags)
East Street 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 35478 08744 [1m precision]
WGS84: 50:51.7405N 0:4.5793W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 35464 08727
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Falmer Village  St Laurences Church 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 17 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register