SE7804 : Stained glass window, St Andrew's church, Epworth

taken 7 months ago, near to Epworth, North Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Stained glass window, St Andrew's church, Epworth
Stained glass window, St Andrew's church, Epworth
Depicting The Raising of Jairus' daughter.
Adelaide Gertrude Maw d.1870 aged 17, and Edith Annie Maw d.1879 aged 14, daughters of Arthur and Sarah Maw.
St Andrew's church, Epworth

Grade I listed

The church is built on higher ground north of the town, and is famous for its connection with John Wesley who grew up in the town.
It dates from the late twelfth century onwards and is mostly fourteenth to fifteenth century.
The nave arcades are early thirteenth century and the chancel was rebuilt in the 1670's. Part of a Saxon building was found recently under the floor.

The church consists of a western tower, nave with north and south aisles and clerestory, chancel with organ chamber and vestry, and north and south porches.

The fifteenth century tower is of three stages with buttresses to the west side. The top stage has gargoyles and embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles. The tower has large buttresses to the east internally. There are eight bells.

The nave aisles embrace the tower with three and a half bay arcades which have octagonal piers.
The chancel was rebuilt in 1675, having been partly destroyed during the Civil War. The side chapels were removed around the same time.

There is a plain octagonal font from the decorated period.

The nave was re-roofed in 1782 and the names of the Church Wardens and Carpenter are visible on the beams. In 1868 major restorations were carried out under James Fowler, when the organ chamber was built, an existing gallery removed and the aisles were re-roofed.

An extensive program of repairs was carried out from 1999 to 2014 with major works on the nave, chancel and south aisle roofs, plus structural strengthening, and renewing the tower roof. The interior of the church was refurbished with a new limestone floor and a ringer's gallery created in the tower with a meeting room underneath. The pews were also removed.

The church has a two manual Abbot and Smith organ and several stained glass windows.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE7804, 79 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 10 April, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 16 April, 2018
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Place (from Tags)
Epworth 
Church (from Tags)
St Andrews 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 7837 0401 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:31.6151N 0:49.1556W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 7 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register