2018
TF1173 : The Wild Man of Stainfield, Stainfield church
taken 8 years ago, near to Stainfield, Lincolnshire, England
The Wild Man of Stainfield, Stainfield church
A quilt depicting the wild man, featuring the church and Peewhits, as associated with the finding of the Wild Man and incorporated in the Tyrwhitt crest.
St Andrew's church, Stainfield
Grade II* listed
The church was built in 1711, possibly designed by Sir Christopher Wren. It is orientated north-south and stands on the site of a Benedictine priory. This was granted to the Tyrwhitt family at the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Sir Robert Tyrwhitt built a large mansion nearby.
The church is built in brick with a north bell tower, and nave and chancel in one.
The north bell turret has a clock and lead covered ogee cap.
The entrance doorway has a scrolled broken pediment with scrolled brackets and ashlar plaque inscribed 1711.
Inside there is a 19th-century porch, and early 18th-century pews with carved bench ends.
At the north (west) end there is a door with large commandment boards containing round headed needlework panels. These were restored in 1999. There are also two small tapestries of the Creed and Lords Prayer which are original.
There is also an 18th-century polygonal panelled pulpit and wooden reredos.
Stainfield is associated with the legend of "The wild man of Stainfield" and various stories concerning his demise. The church used to have tattered banners hanging in the chancel which some say were the clothes of the wild man. These are now missing.
The church was restored by James Fowler in 1887.
This page has been
viewed about
131 times