TG2308 : Carnary Chapel Chapel of St John the Evangelist

taken 2 years ago, near to Norwich, Norfolk, Great Britain

Carnary Chapel  Chapel of St John the Evangelist
Carnary Chapel Chapel of St John the Evangelist
The stone chapel was founded in 1316 by Bishop Salmon and built by Mason J Ramsey. Built as a chantry for six priests it is approached by a vaulted porch with steps > Link which is the work of Bishop Lyhart (he was bishop from 1446-1473). Beneath the chapel was a stone-vaulted charnel house which has since been clearned of bones and now accommodates a gallery instead. The building currently serves as the Norwich School's chapel and has the oldest still functional door in the city of Norwich, dating from the 14th century > Link. The former school house (now the school office) > Link is tucked onto it at right.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2308, 5857 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 25 May, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 27 May, 2018
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2338 0889 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:37.9058N 1:17.9689E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2341 0888
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 44 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register