SU8612 : The Pergola, West Dean Gardens
taken 6 years ago, near to West Dean, West Sussex, England
West Dean manor was mentioned in the Domesday Book. It was owned by the Earls of Arundel and Dukes of Norfolk for much of the first half of the 2nd Millennium, before passing into various ownerships, including that of Richard Lewnekor who in the early 17th century built a Jacobean manor house here. In 1738, the estate passed to the Peachey family, and it was Sir James Peachey, 1st Lord Selsey who in 1804 commissioned the rebuilding of the manor house by the architect James Wyatt - his work represents the core of the present house. James Peachey was also responsible for the parkland and arboretum.
In 1892 the estate was acquired by the James family, and in 1893 the house was extended for William Dodge James by Sir Ernest George and Harold Peto.
In 1912 the estate passed to William Dodge James's 5 year old son, Edward James, who took full possession of it 20 years later. Edward was a great patron of the Arts, and in 1964 he established the Edward James Foundation, an educational trust for arts and crafts. In 1971 the house opened as West Dean College.
The gardens have been developed over the years since the 18th century by the various owners. After much damage in the 1987 storm, the gardens have been fully renovated by a team led by Jim Buckland and Sarah Wain.
Both the estate and gardens and the house itself are grade II* listed - see Link and Link respectively.
- Grid Square
- SU8612, 363 images (more nearby 🔍)
- Ian Capper (more nearby)
- Date Taken
- Saturday, 26 May, 2018 (more nearby)
- Monday, 28 May, 2018
- Subject Location
OSGB36: SU 861 127 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:54.4424N 0:46.5268W
- Camera Location
- OSGB36: SU 862 127
- View Direction
- WEST (about 270 degrees)