TG2208 : The Plantation Garden - the fountain

taken 2 years ago, near to Eaton, Norfolk, Great Britain

The Plantation Garden - the fountain
The Plantation Garden - the fountain
The fountain > Link was built in 1857 from a combination of flint and Cosseyware.

From the 1830s to 1915, George Gunton and from 1868 onwards his sons William and George, made a range of ornamental bricks which they called Cosseyware, at their brickyard in Costessey (pronounced Cossey). Among a number of brickyards in the area, the Guntons' perhaps had the greatest effect on Norwich housebuilding in that two of Norwich's foremost architects, Edward Boardman and George Skipper, both used Cosseyware in their buildings.
The Plantation Garden
The Plantation Garden > Link is a Grade 2 listed Victorian garden created by the well-to-do upholsterer and cabinet maker Henry Trevor, who in 1856 took over the lease of the site, a disused chalk quarry, and built his dwelling there, which he called Plantation House. Between 1856 and 1891/92, he also created the immediately adjacent Plantation Garden, an area encompassing almost 3 acres of ground and featuring a rustic bridge > Link at one end and Italianate terraces with balustrades > Link at the other, and many other things to discover on the way.

At the bottom of the former quarry there are a Gothic fountain (built in 1857) > Link and lawns and flowerbeds, a number of follies > including a Gothic alcove > Link and a church window > Link and seats beside the paths > Link for taking a rest or having a picnic.

Several retaining walls > Link - Link and also the walls of the Italianate terrace incorporate a range of ornamental bricks, most having been produced by the Gunton Brothers' brickworks in Costessey and known as Cosseyware > Link - Link. Fragments of more than 15 of their 34 patterns on chimneys, for instance, can be seen here. The fountain as well as the follies also contain pieces of ornamental Cosseyware.

Higher up, serpentine paths > Link - Link take the visitor along circular routes around the garden at different levels, offering many pleasant views > Link. The Plantation Garden, described as one of the finest surviving Victorian gardens in England, is open every day > Link. It is managed by the Plantation Garden Preservation Trust (PGPT), a registered charity formed in 1980.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2208, 3226 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 13 June, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 14 June, 2018
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2222 0853 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:37.7405N 1:16.9277E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2221 0852
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 7 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register