TG2208 : The Plantation Garden - small folly beside the path

taken 5 months ago, near to Earlham, Norfolk, Great Britain

The Plantation Garden - small folly beside the path
The Plantation Garden - small folly beside the path
It contains a number of decorative bricks.
The Plantation Garden
The Plantation Garden > LinkExternal link is a Grade 2 listed Victorian garden created by the well-to-do upholsterer and cabinet maker Henry Trevor, who in 1856 took over the lease of the site, a disused chalk quarry, and built his dwelling there, which he called Plantation House. Between 1856 and 1891/92, he also created the immediately adjacent Plantation Garden, an area encompassing almost 3 acres of ground and featuring a rustic bridge > LinkExternal link at one end and Italianate terraces with balustrades > LinkExternal link at the other, and many other things to discover on the way.

At the bottom of the former quarry there are a Gothic fountain (built in 1857) > LinkExternal link and lawns and flowerbeds, a number of follies > including a Gothic alcove > LinkExternal link and a church window > LinkExternal link and seats beside the paths > LinkExternal link for taking a rest or having a picnic.

Several retaining walls > LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link and also the walls of the Italianate terrace incorporate a range of ornamental bricks, most having been produced by the Gunton Brothers' brickworks in Costessey and known as Cosseyware > LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link. Fragments of more than 15 of their 34 patterns on chimneys, for instance, can be seen here. The fountain as well as the follies also contain pieces of ornamental Cosseyware.

Higher up, serpentine paths > LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link take the visitor along circular routes around the garden at different levels, offering many pleasant views > LinkExternal link. The Plantation Garden, described as one of the finest surviving Victorian gardens in England, is open every day > LinkExternal link. It is managed by the Plantation Garden Preservation Trust (PGPT), a registered charity formed in 1980.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2208, 2690 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 13 June, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 14 June, 2018
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Paths 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2219 0852 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:37.7358N 1:16.9008E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2221 0852
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 9 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register