SJ8298 : War Memorial in Albert Bentley Place

taken 1 year ago, near to Rusholme, Manchester, Great Britain

War Memorial in Albert Bentley Place
War Memorial in Albert Bentley Place
Originally called Albion Place, it was renamed Albert Bentley Place in 2015 LinkExternal link after the man who became head of the local fire brigade in 1898.

The Grade II listed war memorial in the foreground LinkExternal link was unveiled by the Earl of Derby in July 1922.

Across Salford Crescent on the left is the Grade II listed LinkExternal link Salford Museum and Art Gallery.

On the right are the University of Salford's Maxwell Hall and Maxwell Building dating from 1959/60 LinkExternal link
Lancashire Fusiliers War Memorial (Salford Cenotaph)
The Salford Cenotaph in Albert Bentley Place (formerly Albion Place) on the Crescent, outside the old Police and Fire Station, is surmounted by the Sphinx of the Lancashire Fusiliers. The sphinx is on a pedestal on which is carved the single word EGYPT. The Rose of Lancaster decorates each corner at the top of the cenotaph. The side panels feature a large carved wreath and the names of campaigns in which the regiment took part.

It is a Grade II Listed Structure (Historic England List entry Number: 1386176 LinkExternal link

LinkExternal link (North Manchester Battlefield Society) for more information
Salford Museum and Art Gallery
Salford Museum and Art Gallery, in Peel Park, opened to the public in November 1850 as the Royal Museum and Public Library, was the first "unconditionally free" public library in the United Kingdom LinkExternal link . It is a Grade II listed building (English Heritage List Entry Number: 1386179 LinkExternal link Heritage Gateway)

Although the classic red-brick Victorian building looks like a single building, it was, in fact the result of a series of building projects. Prior to its construction the site was occupied by Lark Hill Place and the gardens that surrounded it. The original house was built beside the River Irwell in 1809 by Colonel James Ackers (LinkExternal link ).

Lark Hill estate and mansion were purchased by Salford Council in 1849 to house the first Royal Museum and Public Library. Over the next few years extensions were added to the house to create more galleries and to accommodate the ever growing numbers of visitors. The north and south galleries, designed by Travis & Mangnall, were added in 1854 and 1856 respectively and the Langworthy wing, designed by Henry Lord, was opened officially on the 14 August 1878. The original Lark Hill house was demolished in 1936 was replaced by a new wing which mirrored the Langworthy wing.

It is, perhaps, surprising that the aesthetic design of the building building shows a remarkable degree of architectural consistency and symmetry despite the fact that the building development was a gradual evolution which was commenced by different architects evolving their ideas at different times over nearly a century of evolution but has, nonetheless, produced such a unified structure.

The building is accepted as the earliest civic building that has influenced the location of other civic buildings in the Crescent area which have developed around it. It is now in the heart of the University of Salford campus, surrounded by civic and educational buildings.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ8298, 333 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 5 March, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 13 July, 2018
Geographical Context
Public buildings and spaces  Religious sites  Educational sites 
Person (from Tags)
Earl of Derby 
Date (from Tags)
1922  1959  1960 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8204 9861 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:29.0338N 2:16.3269W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8203 9860
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
War Memorial  Grade II Listed  Museum  Art Gallery  University Building  University of Salford 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 27 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register