NZ9210 : Whitby's former foghorn

taken 2 months ago, near to Stainsacre, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

Whitby's former foghorn
Whitby's former foghorn
The one acre of land was bought by Trinity House in 1858 and originally housed a lighthouse. In 1900 the lighthouse was demolished and replaced by the foghorn station, which became known to locals as the 'Hawsker Bull' on account of its mournful bull-like call.

It was decommissioned in 1988, but the two 20ft long and 8ft high horns are still in place on the roof. The building is now a self catering holiday property called Hornblower Lodge.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Mark Percy and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ9210, 103 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 24 June, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 19 July, 2018
Geographical Context
Coastal  Housing, Dwellings 
Primary Subject of Photo
Fog Horn 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 9271 1026 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:28.7541N 0:34.2402W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 9275 1022
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 1 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register