NZ3769 : On the North Pier at Tynemouth

taken 5 months ago, near to Tynemouth, North Tyneside, Great Britain

On the North Pier at Tynemouth
On the North Pier at Tynemouth
Tynemouth Priory is visible on the headland.
Tynemouth Castle and Priory
Tynemouth Castle and Priory, located on a rocky headland of Pen Bal Crag, overlooking the North Sea and the River Tyne, was once one of the largest fortified areas in England.

The moated castle-towers, gatehouse and keep are combined with the ruins of the Benedictine priory where early kings of Northumbria were buried.

A monastery lay on this headland by the mid 7th Century and following plunder by the Danes in the ninth century the headland was fortified by Tostig, Earl of Northumberland. In 1296 Edward I granted the prior and convent a formal licence to crenellate (LinkExternal link ) and it was considered by Edward III to be one of the strongest fortresses of the Marches.
Much of the castle was demolished in 1665 by the then Governor, Colonel Edward Villiers, to build a new barracks, a lighthouse and a house for himself. By 1681 the castle had decayed and only had a “slender garrison”. It remained manned until the 20th century when it was handed over from the War Office for preservation.

More recently the site has hosted the modern buildings of Her Majesty's Coastguard. However the new coastguard station, built in 1980 and opened by Prince Charles, was closed in 2001.

LinkExternal link English Heritage
LinkExternal link - North of the Tyne
Tynemouth Piers and Lighthouses :: NZ3868
Before the construction of the two piers, the mouth of the River Tyne was exposed to the full force of the sea and many ships were frequently wrecked, especially on Black Midden Rocks.

The building of the north and south piers has been recorded as one of the most difficult undertakings of its kind carried out in this country; for over 54 years it was an endless battle against the sea. The foundation stones for the piers were laid in 1854 and, although they were initially completed in 1895, the north pier was breached two years later and its reconstruction wasn’t finally completed until 1909. The north pier is 899 metres long and the south is 1,570 metres long. The distance between the round heads of the two piers is 360 metres.

The lighthouses were erected on the pier heads in 1895. Installation of the lanterns added an extra eight months to complete construction before they began operating in 1896.

The north lighthouse is 26 metres high and has a white navigation light over-arcing the horizon for a distance of 26 miles. The south Pier lighthouse is 15 metres high and has white, red and green navigational lights over-arcing the horizon for distances of 13, 9 and 8 miles respectively. Within the harbour entrance on the Herd Groyne is a smaller, red, lighthouse which is 13 metres high.

LinkExternal link Port of Tyne (pdf format)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Mat Fascione and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ3769, 341 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 5 August, 2018   (more nearby)
Saturday, 11 August, 2018
Geographical Context
Coastal  Historic sites and artefacts  Docks, Harbours 
Ruin (from Tags)
Primary Subject of Photo
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 376 692 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:0.9721N 1:24.7644W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 376 692
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 11 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register