SU0881 : Eastern end of the canal, Royal Wootton Bassett

taken 3 years ago, near to Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, Great Britain

Eastern end of the canal, Royal Wootton Bassett
Eastern end of the canal, Royal Wootton Bassett
This is as far east as it is possible to navigate in a small boat from the western end of the restored section of the Wilts & Berks canal. The gantries at the left are part of the infrastructure of the partially electrified railway line to Paddington from the West which otherwise would be out of sight.
Great Western Main Line Electrification

Network Rail is modernising the Great Western Main Line at the cost of 5 billion pounds. The work started in 2010 and is due to finish in 2017. It will entail the replacement of the ageing rolling stock with new electric trains. The section between Reading & Didcot is due to be used as the test line when it is finished.
LinkExternal link

Wilts & Berks Canal :: SU0981

The Wilts & Berks Canal was promoted from 1793 as a means of providing cheap transport. The Bill empowering construction of the canal received Royal Assent in 1795 and the canal was cut from the Kennet & Avon Canal at Semington, near Melksham, to the River Thames at Abingdon during the years 1796 to 1810. A link from Swindon to the Thames & Severn Canal at Latton (near Cricklade) was completed in 1819. This link, known as the North Wilts Canal, allowed traffic to bypass the difficult River Thames navigation between Lechlade and Abingdon.
The main line of the canal was 52 miles long, with six miles of branches and nine miles of the North Wilts Canal. It was cut to take narrowboats 72 feet long and seven feet wide, carrying 35 tons. There were 42 locks on the main line, 11 on the North Wilts Canal and three on the Calne branch. There were three short tunnels.
The canal enjoyed a period of prosperity between 1817 and 1841. However, with the coming of the Great Western Railway in 1841 decline set in. Stanley Aqueduct between Chippenham and Calne collapsed in 1901, stopping through traffic, and the canal was abandoned by Act of Parliament in 1914. LinkExternal link LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Brian Robert Marshall and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU0881, 31 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 15 September, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 15 September, 2018
Geographical Context
Sport, Leisure  Business, Retail, Services  People, Events  Canals 
Primary Subject of Photo
Canal 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 084 818 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:32.1242N 1:52.7740W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 084 818
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 69 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register