2018

NY6820 : Inside the chapel of St Anne's Hospital, Appleby

taken 6 years ago, near to Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria, England

Inside the chapel of St Anne's Hospital, Appleby
Inside the chapel of St Anne's Hospital, Appleby
St Anne's Hospital was established in 1653 by Lady Anne Clifford for 'twelve sisters and a mother to help poor widows in Appleby who were prevented by age or infirmity from supporting themselves'. There are 13 almshouses set around a cobbled courtyard with a tiny chapel tucked into one corner. In the latter half of the 19th century the whole building underwent some changes - the fabric was heightened providing each of the sisters with a bedroom upstairs. In 1961 the houses were altered and repaired to accommodate a bathroom and new kitchen facilities.

The chapel is kept open during the day. The reading desk and the greater part of the seating is original mid-17th century work.

Some more photographs can be seen at LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Marathon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Historic sites and artefacts Religious sites other tags: Chapel Almshouses Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NY6820, 564 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Marathon   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 26 August, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 22 September, 2018
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 6844 2022 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:34.5719N 2:29.3842W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 6844 2021
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 53 times
You are not logged in login | register