NY6228 : Former gypsum mine at Acorn Bank

taken 4 years ago, near to Newbiggin, Cumbria, Great Britain

Former gypsum mine at Acorn Bank
Former gypsum mine at Acorn Bank
Acorn Bank has a long history which dates back to the 13th century. The first owners were the Knights Templars in 1228, from whom the nearby village of Temple Sowerby got its name. After the suppression of the Templars, the manor passed to the Knights of the Hospital of St John, who held it from 1323 until the Dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIIIth. In 1543 Acorn Bank was acquired by Thomas Dalston, a local landowner, and remained in the hands of his descendants until the 1930s. The name 'Acorn Bank' was given to the property when the Dalston's bought the property. It was so called because of the ancient woodland covering most of it. In the 18th century, John Dalston had much of this woodland felled to create the view of the Lakeland fells in front of the house.

During the late 18th and early 19th centuries it passed through the female line three times, eventually passing to the Boazman family from Newton Aycliffe in County Durham.

Acorn Bank, with its 180 acres of park and woodland was given to the National Trust in 1950 by the writer Dorothy Una Ratcliffe who, with her second husband, had bought the property in 1938. The house was leased to tenants for the next 40 years; the last tenants were the Sue Ryder Foundation, who used it as a nursing home. The gardens were opened to the public, and in the 1990s the estate walks began to be opened up and the restoration of the water mill began.

The Gypsum mine
Gypsum is a soft, white mineral used for fertilisers and Plaster. In 1880 Henry Boazman first quarried on a large scale and in 1890 began the underground mining with an output of 3,000 to 4,800 tons a year. The by-product of this quarrying was clay, and a tile and brick works was also opened to take advantage of the spoils. Henry's wife, Hannah Boazman, continued the mining after he died in 1905. Her son Kenneth took over from 1921 until 1934-5 when the estate and the mill were sold to the writer Dorothy Una Ratcliffe who closed the mine in 1938.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Marathon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NY6228, 47 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 26 August, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 23 September, 2018
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Quarrying, Mining  Derelict, Disused 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 6201 2802 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:38.7509N 2:35.4129W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 6200 2804
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Former Gypsum Mine  National Trust Property 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 82 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register